Sets up and operates one or more centerless grinding machines to grind external cylindrical or tapered surfaces of rotating metal, aluminum, plastic work pieces to blueprint specifications, following instructions and applying knowledge of grinding procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Reads blueprints and job orders for product specifications, such as dimensions, tolerances, and number of parts to be ground.
- Lifts and positions work piece manually or with hoist, and secures it on work rest.
- Starts machine and observes operation.
- Verifies dimensions of ground work piece for conformance to specifications, using measuring instruments, such as micrometers, calipers, and preset gauges.
- Changes worn grinding wheels, using wrenches.
- Set up any of the accessories required to perform grinding operation.
- Communicates with co-workers and supervisor to receive instructions and coordinate activities.
- Inspects and measures parts to maintain statistical process control charts as needed.
JOB QUALIFICATION & REQUIREMENTS:
Experience: Vocational education, manufacturing work experience, or apprenticeship in an industrial environment.
- Constantly exert up to < 3 pounds of force to move objects
- Frequently exert 5 to 10 pounds of force
- Occasionally exert 15 to 30 pounds of force
- Rarely exert 50 pounds of force (with lifting assistance)
- Standing, walking, pushing, turning, bending, and pulling at waist level
Visual Acuity: Near acuity or accommodation are required for reading machine dial gauges, blueprints, and precision measuring instruments used in the inspection of parts.
Hearing Ability: Ability to monitor machine sounds to identify and diagnose changes in order to take appropriate action
- Normal noise levels from operating machines
- Exposure to oils and cutting fluids – rubber gloves provided as needed
- May be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
- Manufactures quality parts
- Produces parts in a timely manner as compared to historical data.
- Identifies/reports problems with machine or machining process to avoid scrap
- Maintains a flexible outlook in operating equipment
- Prepares paperwork accurately
- Participates in the Quest continuous process improvement program
- Abides by company values
- Maintains a good attendance record
********** 1st & 2nd shifts available **********